As seen on RTL4!
1 Energylabel Business Premises The Netherlands
Share 1energylabel on your social networks
1energielabel Nederland 1energielabel Friesland

Energy label for non-residential buildings

Non-residential buildings, such as schools, hospitals, offices, and shops, require an energy label when they are put up for sale or rent or when construction is completed.

An energy label is mandatory for both new and existing buildings. Some buildings, however, do not require an energy label (e.g. factory halls and protected monuments).


Applying for an energy label for non-residential buildings

The procedure for registering an energy label for a non-residential building is different than for a residence. As the owner, you do not receive a provisional label, nor can you convert it online into a definitive one. You have to employ an expert yourself. After inspecting various features of your property, they have the energy label registered for you.

The InstallQ foundation provides a complete overview of companies that are certified to issue energy labels for non-residential buildings and homes. is BRL 9500 certified and therefore authorized to issue energy labels for non-residential buildings and homes.


The sale or new rental of a property

When space is rented to a new tenant, the building’s owner must give the new tenant a copy of the energy label. When a building is sold, the previous owner must give the buyer the energy label.


Energy label monitoring

The Human Environment and Transport Inspectorate will check whether you have a definitive energy label when your commercial or public building is put up for sale or rent or when construction is completed.

Visibily displaying the energy label

Government bodies in public buildings with a floor area of 250 square metres or more must display the energy label so that it is clearly visible for the public, for instance in the reception area or near the entrance.

This rule also applies to other public buildings over 250 square meters, such as hospitals, supermarkets, shops, banks, hotels, etc. However, this only pertains to buildings for which an energy label is available, for instance after a sale.

Source: Government of the Netherlands

1. Make an appointment

Make an appointment. Use our online registration form on the homepage.


2. Inspection

Subsequently, the inspection will take place on location. This will take approx. 60 minutes per property, depending on the size and the availability of floor plans.


3. Energy label and advice

Back at the office, we work out the inspection data in more detail, after which we register the energy label and provide it online.

For the BRL9500 certificate, please go to Skgikob.